|Preacher, Geoffry Lloyd|
"Atlanta's Hotel Architectural & Engineering Firm" of G. Lloyd Preacher provided the design of the Wynne-Claughton Building. G. Lloyd Preacher was born in 1882 at Fairfax, South Carolina and graduated in 1904 with a degree in engineering and architecture from Clemson College. He served as draftsman for the Lombard Iron Works in Augusta, Georgia from June 1904 until 1909. The 1909 Augusta Directory indicates Preacher was in business with Arthur Holman, advertising as civil and mechanical engineers. In 1911 Preacher won the design competition for the Augusta Fire Headquarters building and his architectural career was launched. From 1912, G. Lloyd Preacher dominated the design market in Augusta. Preacher was named secretary of the newly created Georgia Board of Architects (a regulatory body created by the State Legislature) and he most probably came to Atlanta in 1922.
In Atlanta, he designed the Bon Air Apartments located at 908 Juniper Street in 1922. Other commissions include the Standard Building (1923); Henry Grady Hotel (1924) and Theatre (1926); Atlanta City Hall (1927-30); and Bass High School (1928). His list of commissions is voluminous and includes 417 buildings in seven states. Of these, 290 buildings are in Georgia and at least 100 are located in Atlanta. He designed 45 schools in Atlanta and provided designs for a total of 87 schools between the years 1911 and 1930. Among his commissions were 45 hotels and 29 apartment buildings.
Preacher closed his office in 1934 and entered government work for the Homeowners Loan Corporation. His sons, G. Lloyd, Jr. and Jack, reopened their father's office from 1947 to 1950, when G. Lloyd, Sr. returned to Atlanta to practice until 1954. Preacher died June 17, 1972.